Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

index» » » » » » » Cornish Sardines in defense of Tesco

Cornish Sardines in defense of Tesco

I got one of those lure you in vouchers from Tesco last week: Spend £40 and get £6 off your bill.  So instead of shopping online I actually went into the Tesco store.  This is usually a mistake as I tend to end up spending much more than when I shop online, but it does give me an opportunity to see what is there and get something different.


I was planning on having salmon fillets for supper tonight so headed ot the fresh fish counter.  I did get the salmon fillets (reduced too!) but I was really surprised to see the variety of fish on offer, more than I had seen previously.  I saw Tilapia, Sea Bass, Mackerel and various less well known white fish, which I assume must be there for sustainabilty.  Now those of you who live in towns and cities will be thinking I must have lost the plot, but when you live in rural Scotland your fish choice is usually, haddock, cod, whiting, smoked haddock and smoked mackerel with the odd herring thrown in. 

Our little town just doesnt have a big enough population to support a fish shop, there are some vans that go around but they only have the fish I mentioned above and, even in the larger towns nearby, I have never seen Cornish Sardines.

The woman at the counter said she only had five left so would give me a discount, they were only 35p each, how fab is that!  So I brought them home and only then did I think "what on earth am I going to do with five Cornish Sardines?"  A quick search on the tinternet and I found this fab site and this recipe for Cornish Sardine BruschettaThe loaf I made yesterday was ideal for Bruschetta, so we had this for lunch. The sardines were delicious but they dont half stink up your kitchen!

So, in defense of Tesco: dont tell me that without Tesco in the town all these small shops would thrive.  Ive lived in this area for 26 years and when I arrived we had a very poor selection of fruit, veg, fish and pretty much everything else except meat (there were three butchers in this small town) there is an awful lot to be said for the variety and choice that supermarkets deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment