Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

index» » » » » Low Fat Blackcurrant Cheesecake

Low Fat Blackcurrant Cheesecake

The first of my blackcurrants were ready to pick today.  Because we have had a month of rain in Scotland, the currants are nice and large and juicy, we have not seen much sun but today it shone all day and I was able to pick enough to make dessert.

After what feels like a very long winter and soggy spring, I need to shed a few pounds so I am lightening my cooking.  Blackcurrants present a bit of a problem because they are just too sour to eat without some kind of sweetener and I dont like artificial sweeteners.

I decided to make a sort of faux cheesecake, so I cooked some blackcurrants (about a cupful) with a teaspoon of water and a tablespoon of caster sugar.  I only cooked them until they started to burst then pulled them off the heat to cool.  Once cool I added a tablespoon of cherry brandy.
In the bottom of the ramekin, is a gingersnap cookie, soaked in a little orange juice to soften it.  On top of that is two tablespoons of 0% Greek Yogurt and then the blackcurrant sauce.  There was just enough sweetness in the cookie and the sauce to offset the sharpness of the blackcurrants.  Im not saying I wouldnt rather have the full fat version but this was not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment